Friday, October 8, 2010

In the midweek ( Week 1)


In the middle of the tasks and assignments I have in real life and this online course.. I couldn't help my self not to change the layout of my blog..so here is the new layout with autumn season as the background.. these kinds of things brought back the past time..when I struggled with HTML  and tried to understand all the scripts...
 
Back to the topic..it has been the midweek of the Week 1 and we got the notice about it from Robert along with the Snapgrades link. Midweek already? Time is running faster than I thought. For the past couple days, I had been busy with the assignments handed by my supervisor then I remembered about the article which I should read for this week. It's about using Blog as one of the ways to teach English.



The article was an eye-opening for me because I never thought to use Blog as a technique to teach English although I was fond of blogging.  As I did a self-reflection, I found out that I focused on the real teaching-learning process too much and used real media such as power point presentation, pictures, video etc without applying technology as a daily basis. I asked my students to search articles on the internet then compiled it in a group work. I can say that I am an old-fashioned teacher.

I noticed the lack of students' enthusiasm and gave many reasons in avoiding to complete the task. For example, I taught them about Narrative text. The students were given the title of the story they had to find on the internet and the task didn't run smoothly as I expected.
I learned about being flexible with the plan so they had to do a presentation . Most of them presented the paper in drama performance. They made the dialog,wardrobe,setting etc. The rest of the meetings were fun.


The facilities also took part as an important thing in teaching-learning process. I didn't have the access to use the English lab and there was no internet connection. I have a big hope here for the new English Lab in my new university because it is going to be provided the internet connection and I am managing it. The plan of applying the "blog" as a new technique and can't wait for that. The great expectation is in me now during this online course.

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dhika,
    The activity you did with your students concerning the drama performance reminded me of an idea that I had last year but couldn't find the right software or website for it. I don't know if any of my classmates can help. I made my students watch a short animated movie of The Tell-Tale Heart which I downloaded from youtube after they read the original story. There were some variations in the plot that made it look more modern and students enjoyed noticing the differences. Then I thought that students can read a short story and animate it after making changes to the original plot. This way they will have to read and write. Unluckily I couldn't find any software that does the job.
    Nada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nada..

    Thank you for your comment and don't worry about the site..

    It's an interesting idea of downloading a short movie from Youtube then asked your students to performed with their own creativity. Unluckily in my university, Youtube is one of the forbidden sites and it's blocked. I think I will go to internet cafe to do it. I still have problems with listening activities because the lack of media which I can use to support listening ability. I will search more about it.

    I am planning of using all the new techniques I learn in this course to teach English and can't wait for that..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dhika
    I also feel an old fashioned teacher, but fortunately I am flexible enough to be able to flow and learn all the time from colleagues and students, not necessarily in that order. It is funny that such a young person says she is old fashioned but this is the world we are leaving today: close your eyes for a second and things have completely changed. So rather than learning content we have to learn how to access that content so that we are ready for the exponential change that's going on and in which our students learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrea..

    Thank you for your comment..
    I am always trying to create something new and to be flexible too in order to share the knowledge to my students. I learned about many techniques of teaching when I was in university as a student. I made a promise to myself that I would be a creative teacher in my own way. But sometimes I did the same things as my teacher did..that's why I am eager to learn something new and try to enrich my knowledge..

    Thank you for your support Andrea..I really appreciate it..

    Regards

    Dhika

    ReplyDelete