Monday, October 4, 2010

The class is begun (Week 1)

Finally..the class is begun although it will start tomorrow in my local time..
I am so excited about it because this is my first online course. I had a problem that I found in Orientation week but it had already solved by Robert. Thanks to him.


Actually the blog will be one of the assignment that I have to make in Week 1 but I decided to make one to complete the list that Robert gave us. Blogging is not a new thing for me.. I tried to learn how to create a blog in 2002. My friend introduced me to blogging world because she liked to share her thoughts with me and invited me to do the same.. My first blog used the other site which offered some templates for blogging. 


Blogger has improved many things to make it easier but I missed the old one :D I realized that blogging helped me in sharing my thoughts..from the meaningful thoughts to the silly ones..


When I taught in English department in my former university.. I used email and university's web as a technique to teach English but it didn't work well when I tried to introduce it.The students were lazy to do the assignments which I posted on the web. I think blogging is one of the techniques that I will use to teach English but I love to learn many techniques from all my classmate here ...


can't wait to start the course..

9 comments:

  1. Hi Charbel

    Wonderful getting started so quickly. Does your first blog still exist? It would be fun to link to is if it is still up.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dhika

    Sorry for the name confusion, I was just reading another blog. Let me try again.

    Wonderful getting started so quickly. Does your first blog still exist? It would be fun to link to is if it is still up.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ^^

    I am not sure if my old blog is still exist or not..I forgot the title too..I tried to search but no luck :D I have a blog on Multiply.com..but it's only for fun and in Indonesian :D

    it's nice to have one here and have many new friends.. I think I will keep this blog even if the course is over :) Don't want to leave this friendship behind :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dhika,
    I was really taken by your realistic depiction of the students' demotivation. You had the courage to pinpoint one of the common reactions on the side of the students every time they are introduced to a new technique. I firmly believe that such an online course will have a space to discuss the relationship between technology incorporation and ESL/EFL students' motivation.The coming days are ours to switch on or brains and come up with more motivating strategies that can be delivered by OUR WEB-SKILLS as instructors.
    Best,
    Hassn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hassan..

    Thank you for your comment.. :)

    It was my experience of introducing the new technique..I realized that I need to find another way to keep my goal in track then I tried different approaches such as working in group doing the task and they still had to find many sources from internet then presented the paper in a creative presentation visually..if the topic was about narrative text..for example..Cinderella story..they presented it in drama performance to make it real. I found out that the class was full with excitement and fun ^^

    Blogging is a new technique that I never try before. I agree with you.. technology will give a new perspective in teaching ESL/EFL students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dhika,
    I strongly believe that technology can make a difference when it comes to students' motivation. As Hassan said you have pinpointed a common reaction our students have when facing something new. However, technology is not at all new to them. Have you noticed how engaged they are when they have to reply posting in Facebook or Twitter? We should transfer more of these experiences into our language classrooms.
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cecilia

    I noticed about that too..when I asked them about the account on Facebook.. they nodded their heads right away :D

    One of my colleagues here is using Facebook in giving the topic for the next meeting..She asked her students to post comments.. it is also a good idea..

    I make a list of some techniques have been used by my classmates here..blog, social networks..I learn a lot here..
    I think about giving points or credits for students who make a blog or post comments in order to attract their attention.

    Thank you ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Dhika,
    I'm already planning how I will use this course. I think I'm gonna open a blog for my philosophy students which are in grade 12. They have no notion whatsoever about what philosophy is but I think that blogging would motivate them to do so. What do you say?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Charbel..

    It's great to know that you are already planning about using the blog for your students..great idea ^^ I think it will motivate them for sure..you can share everything about the lesson and they can learn it in a fun way..^^ I am thinking about introducing this technique too..

    Please share your experience in your blog then we can discuss about it ^^

    ReplyDelete