Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Finish Line ( Week 9 )

Can you believe that Week 10 is coming? When I looked back..all the tasks..discussions on the board, the blog kept me busy and all the weeks passed me so fast..
Now..I have to drag the bags into the finish line..Am I a different teacher now? No doubt I am..


This week we talk about the learning styles and multiple intelligences.After reading the articles..I found out that having many learning styles in the class needed more efforts to overcome the problems. Students have to be the focus of the learning process not the teachers. I like the way of Richard M. Felder differentiates the learning styles based on the characteristics.I think I am a bit visual and verbal learner since I like to study using pictures and making notes about something in my own words.  When dealing with many learning styles in the class..it can't avoid that we have to prepare different strategics in teaching the same topic. One lesson plan can not use in many classes because each class has specific characteristics along with the learning styles the students have. Flexibility and back up plans are the way to prepare ourselves in the teaching-learning process. 
Based on  Rosen 's article,  it talks about the Internet and Distance Learning which is similar with this course. Virtual classrooms help the students in matching their learning styles with the lesson. So it can be said that it's not only using technology in multimedia forms but also virtual one. When I read some of the articles, I realize that many methods with technology in it can be used in the class. They are truly giving new perspectives in preparing the lesson in my class.


Next week will be the bitter-sweet week since it will be the last time we sit together in the class..
Goodluck everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dhika,

    ha-ha, I am also visual and verbal learner! You know, when I get to know my students in the first class, after introducing the syllabus, I make needs analysis and give a learning styles questionnaire to my students. It helps me to a lot later during the whole academic year.

    Shahnoza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dhika,
    Iam also excited to see the long weeks come to a close.This was a wonderful week since we learned what sort of learners we are.I think Iam a verbal learner.

    You made a very good point that one lesson plan should not be used to teach different classes. The problem is ,teachers don't have the time nor patience to implement what they learn.In fact some recycle lesson plans for years.They simply change the dates.

    Lets be exceptional.

    Mbatia

    ReplyDelete